Shopkeepers, Market associations of Jammu demand revision of shop roster


Straight Line News Network

Jammu, April 26: Deputy Commissioner Jammu issued a revised Roster for Market Complexes in Municipal areas of Jammu from 26th April onwards. However, market associations, shopkeepers of Patel bazar, Raj Tilak Road, Purani Mandi Market were seen agitated over the 50% shop order.

Video Report: Unfair shop roster of Patel Bazar, Raj Tilak road market, shopkeepers agitated

The issue, they said wasn’t that alternate days were assigned to shops but the fact that ground situation was such that 95% shops in the market were opening on three days and for the rest of the three days only 5% shops opened.

“The roster does not take into account what kind of shops there are in these markets. Patel Bazar market has only 3-4 shops of Bags and rest are readymade garment shops, footwear shops etc. All other shops have been assigned the same day and bag shops are assigned the rest of the days. That’s not 50-50 but 95-5,” said General Secretary of Patel bazar Market Association Ashok Khajuria.

Also watch: Day after 34 hour long Curfew; it is business as usual in Jammu markets

Business and other activities also resumed on Monday after remaining suspended due to 34-hour COVID-19 curfew imposed by the Union Territory (UT) administration from 2200 hrs on Saturday to break the chain of Coronavirus.

Meanwhile, the State Executive Committee (SEC), in the exercise of the powers conferred upon it under Section 24 of the Disaster Management Act,2005, hereby orders that night curfew timings within municipal and Urban local body limits of all districts of J&K shall be from 2000 hrs to 0600 hrs next morning instead of 2200 hrs to 0600 hrs.
Similarly, SEC also orders that all paid public parks in the UT of J&K shall remain closed for visitors till further orders. All activities came to halt in the Kashmir valley, including Srinagar, from 2200 hrs on Saturday due to COVID curfew. Acting tough against COVID-19 curfew violators, police arrested nine persons, 992 were fined, four First Information Reports (FIRs) were registered and over a dozen vehicles were seized in the valley, an official spokesman said.

Also Read: DC Jammu notifies Alternate Days for shops in Jammu markets
However, today all roadblocks and other restrictions were lifted to allow people to resume their activities as per Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), including wearing masks and keeping social distance. Shopkeeper and other business establishments were asked to follow the instructions issued by the administration strictly.

Srinagar district had recorded 748 fresh cases on Sunday, an official spokesman said. With this Srinagar has 5850 Active Positive cases, he said adding 508 persons have lost their lives since the outbreak of COVID-19 Srinagar.The historic Lal Chowk, which was sealed yesterday from all sides, to prevent any activity, came to life again today. However, only one side of the shops in the nerve centre of the city were open while other side remained shut as per instructions issued by the government.

In busy Maraj Bazar, Goni Khan, Amira Kadal, Court road, Regal Chowk, Residency road, Moulana Azad road, Maisuma, Gaw Kadal, Dalgate and Hari Singh High Street (HSHS) only 50 per cent shops were functioning. However, roadside vendors, particularly selling vegetables and fruits, could be seen in the city areas.
Banks and other financial institutions also resumed their functioning.
Traffic movement, including public transport also resumed today after remaining suspended since Saturday night due to curfew.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:




More like this

Jammu’s Palli shines as carbon-neutral panchayat, while Kot Bhalwal dumping site remains an eyesore

Jammu: In a stark contrast of waste management practices...

Now BJP won’t have courage to allow polls in J&K, says Omar after Karnataka election results

SRINAGAR: Former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Saturday said the...

Last date for applying online ATD-2023 extended till May 15

SRINAGAR: School Education Department has xtended last date of...

J&K | Raft Turns Turtle In Chenab River In Reasi, All 13 Rescued

JAMMU, May 8: A raft carrying 13 people turned...