With talks of Lt Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Girish Chandra Murmu resigning, as said by All India Radio as well, speculations point towards Rajiv Mehrishi as the next LG of J&K. Sources say that Murmu is likely to be appointed as the next Comptroller and Auditor General of India preceding Rajiv Mehrishi. And though, there is no official confirmation, the swapping of places is all the hype across social media right now.
Here are a few things you should know about Rajiv Mehrishi:
- Sixty-three-year-old, Mehrishi, a 1978-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Rajasthan cadre. He is an alumnus of St Xaviers School Jaipur and got a college degree from Delhi’s St Stephen’s. He holds Masters Degree in history and a degree in management from UK.
- He was appointed CAG on August 31, 2017, a day after his retirement from the service as Union Home Secretary on August 30, 2017. He submitted the report on Rafale deal to President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Mehrishi was appointed Chief Secretary of Rajasthan by the Chief Minister of Rajasthan on 21 December 2013. As chief secretary, Mr Mehrishi has worked closely with Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje in introducing some of India’s most radical labour reforms. He had also previously worked closely with her as Principal Finance Secretary during her term from 2003 to 2008.
- Before being appointed Rajasthan chief secretary on December 2013, he was secretary ministry of overseas affairs and special secretary in the union agricultural ministry.
- In October, 2014, during a major shuffle of top bureaucrats after Prime Minister Modi took office, Rajiv Mehrishi became the Finance Secretary. His move to the Centre came less than a year after he was called back to the state as chief secretary.
- He has been a vocal critic of various schemes launched during the previous Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
- Apart from being the Home Secretary of India, Rajiv Mehrishi has served in various key posts in both Union and Rajasthan governments. He has been Chief Secretary of Rajasthan, Principal Resident Commissioner of Rajasthan, Principal Secretary (Finance), Chairman of Indira Gandhi Nahar Board and District Magistrate and Collector of Bikaner in Rajasthan Government.
- He has also been the Union Finance Secretary, Union Fertilizers Secretary, and Union Overseas Indian Affairs Secretary, Special Secretary in Ministry of Agriculture and Joint Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat, in the Union Government.